Get Involved with Camp Jenny
There are two main ways to get involved with Camp Jenny. First, you can help with fundraising. In order to make Camp Jenny happen every year, we must raise $75,000. You can work with your youth group or synagogue to help plan a fundraiser, or you can reach out to your own family and friends to raise support and money. Check our fundraising page for tips and tools!
The second way to get involved is to apply to volunteer as a Camp Jenny staff member...
Applications for 2017 are now closed. You may still take a look at the Application process FAQ.
Travel Information for 2017 Teen and Adult Volunteer Staff:
- Make travel arrangements now! Unit Heads and Adult Senior Staff are expected to arrive on Wednesday, May 24th. Wednesday reservations should be made in the same time parameters as listed below for Thursday arrivals. All other staff (specialists, counselors, senior counselors, SITs) are expected to arrive on Thursday, May 25th. Contact your TYG advisor and check to see if travel arrangements are being coordinated by the temple.
- TRAVELING TO/FROM ATLANTA BY PLANE
- Arrive in Atlanta on Thursday, May 25th between 12:00pm and 2:00pm. You will meet group at Delta Baggage Claim 5. Camp Jenny will provide a bus from the Atlanta Airport to URJ Camp Coleman. Do not make reservations with an arrival time after 2:00pm.
- Depart from Atlanta on Monday, May 29th between 7:00pm and 10:00pm. Do not make reservations for before 7:00pm.
- TRAVELING TO/FROM ATLANTA BY CAR AND THEN RIDING THE BUS TO URJ CAMP COLEMAN (NFTYites may NOT drive themselves!)
- Arrive at Atlanta Airport on Thursday, May 25th between 1:00pm and 2:00pm. You will meet group at Delta Baggage Claim 5. Camp Jenny will provide a bus from the Atlanta Airport to URJ Camp Coleman.
- Depart from Atlanta Airport on Monday, May 29th between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. (NFTYites must be driven by an adult)
- TRAVELING TO COLEMAN BY CAR (NFTYites may NOT drive themselves!)
- Arrive at URJ Camp Coleman on Thursday, May 25th between 4:30pm and 5:30pm.
- Depart from URJ Camp Coleman on Monday, May 29th at 2:30pm.
Camp Jenny Teen Volunteer Descriptions for 2018:
Camp Jenny Co-Directors
In partnership with NFTY Staff, CJ Co-Directors are responsible for the overall vision for Camp Jenny including theme, staff selection, scheduling and programming. They supervise the Unit Heads who have direct oversight of the units.
Unit Heads (juniors & seniors only)
Responsible for planning and preparing unit programming. Unit Heads supervise unit movement and programming throughout CJ, including working with Unit Advocates and Mentors on counselor and camper support. They supervise the counselors in their unit and serve as a resource on cabin programming and management. Unit Heads work in direct partnership with the CJ Co-Directors. Unit Heads are expected to be at CJ from May 24-29, 2017.
Head of Outdoor Specialists & Head of Creative Arts Specialists (juniors and seniors only)
The two head specialists will each be responsible for overseeing half of the specialists and senior specialists. Head Specialists support specialty programming throughout CJ, including working with the Specialist Mentor both before and during Camp Jenny. Head Specialists work in direct partnership with the CJ Co-Directors. They are responsible for helping to incorporate the theme into all specialty programming. Head Specialists are expected to be at CJ from May 24-29, 2017.
Senior Counselor (juniors and seniors only)
Senior Counselors are responsible for primary management of all cabin activities. They work in partnership with the counselors in their cabin and their Unit Heads. Senior Counselors are expected to be at CJ from May 25-29, 2017.
Senior Specialist (juniors and seniors only)
Senior Specialists are responsible for primary management of their specialty area. They work in partnership with the teen and adult specialists in planning the specialty programming prior to CJ, and in running the specialty area during CJ. Senior Specialists are expected to be at CJ from...
Counselors are responsible for the campers in their cabins, specialties and programs. They plan and lead bonding activities, transition games, and rainy day activities. They oversee camper and cabin cleanliness, wake-up and bedtime. For safety and liability purposes, Adult Resident Advisors are assigned to cabins and are available to counselors for support with discipline. Counselors work in partnership with their Senior Counselor. Counselors are expected to be at CJ from May 25-29, 2017.
Specialists are responsible for coordinating the planning and execution of specialty programming in one of the following areas: Music, Dance/Drama, Cooking, Nature/Gardening, Science, Sports, Water Play, Ropes Course, and Arts & Crafts/Pottery. Teen specialists will work in partnership with one or more adult specialists prior to Camp Jenny in order to plan their activities, and will run the activities alongside the adult specialists at CJ. New: specialists may work in more than one area, depending on how many hours each area is open each day. Specialists are expected to be at CJ from May 25-29, 2017.
The Staff-in-Training program is for 9th graders only, and focuses on training NFTYites to be effective future counselors and specialists at Camp Jenny. SITs stay in their own cabin(s), spend some time as a unit, and some time assigned to bunks and specialty areas. SITs are supervised by Adult Unit Mentors. SITs are expected to be at CJ from May 25-29, 2017.